If I could do anything to improve this linky, also please share with me!
Please link directly to your recipe post!
Thanks for participating, you rock <3
This recipe I am sharing tries to hid in some vegetables for those who don't get enough veggies in their diet - you can't even tell the difference - sounds weird, I know...but try it :)
Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Balance trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread, chilled (OR - apple sauce instead! great substitute - I use this instead)
- 1 cup low-sugar blueberry preserves (and if you want to be extra healthy - add a scoop of your protein powder)
- 1/2 cup spinach puree
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Coat an 8x8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and vanilla, and stir to mix well.
- Add the margarine (or apple sauce!) and cut it quickly into the dry ingredients with two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal and is no longer powdery. Do not overmix. You might still see bits of margarine.
- Set aside about half of the oat mixture; press the rest of it firmly into the pan. Bake until lightly browned at the edges (but not fully baked), 13 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the preserves with the spinach puree in a small bowl.
- Spread the blueberry mixture (with protein) over the partially baked oat layer, then sprinkle with the reserved oat mixture. Bake until the topping is slightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Set the pan on a rake to cool completely before cutting into 12 bars.